Sunday, February 20, 2011

Sneak Peek At My Recently Completed Short Story

So, I'm testing out the "pages" function on Blogger this weekend. The ability to add separate pages to your blog has existed for several month here now, but I've never had the time to fully explore it . . . until now. Seeing as I just finished writing a brand new short story last week--tentatively titled "Terra Germinatus"--I figured I'd try something new and let people see what the opening scene looks like in rough draft.

So, if you take a glance over at the sidebar, you'll see a new widget titled "Current Short Story WIPs (Unpublished)." As of right now, I'm contemplating adding all my current short stories that are completed but not currently out on submission to magazines (hence, the "unpublished" part of the title). These are stories I still think have a chance of being published eventually, so I'm sure the list will be changing from time to time as I either sell the stories or trunk them for good.

In the meantime, I only have the one story listed--and it's only an excerpt to give folks a taste. If you'd be so kind, I'd appreciate it if anyone would click on the story's title and jump on over to the page and take a gander. It doesn't appear that you can leave comments on that page, so please come back and provide some feedback in the comments of this post if you're so inclined.

Or not.

I'm not pressuring you, now. Honestly!

I just thought it would be nice to show everyone what I've been up to for the last week, writing-wise. Alternatively, you can also click on the link at the beginning of this post to get to the excerpt.

Thanks a bunch!

8 comments:

Yvonne said...

That was QUITE the opening scene! I was hanging on every word! I especially like the fact that you wrote in "Female" voice. I wrote a short, short story in "male" voice, for the first time, a few years ago. If you have time to spare, feel free to check it out, "The Story of You and Me" ----anyway, I have a question, what does the title mean? How did you come up with it and why? Sorry, I am just curious.

David Batista said...

Thanks for reading! Sounds to me like you might want to read more. :)

The title refers to what's in my protag's basement. This is an alien invasion story, although the details of which are only hinted at in the background as the plot progresses beyond this initial scene. Germinatus is just the Latin word for "germinate," which may or may not give you some idea of what the aliens have in store for us. I was going to name the story simply "Germinate," but for some reason it didn't have a good ring to me. I'm not so sure I like this current title all that much, though, so it might change.

I'll check out your short story. Where is it? I'll look around your blog to see if I can find it.

Kim Kasch said...

Don't know about the two bullets for the babies. I don't know how many Mamas could really do that. . . I don't think I could - no matter what. But, that's me. If you'd like to hear more. I can email you.

Yvonne said...

Definitely want to read more! It's pretty cool! And the title makes more sense to me now! Thanks for the explanation!

My story is somewhere within the confines of 2010. I believe it's in September or October. I'm sorry, I don't have an exact location for you.

David Batista said...

Kim, Kim . . . do you really think I would let my protag shoot her own children without a damn good reason for it? Trust me, it's all revealed later. :)

Let's just say, some things are worse leaving alive than dead. The "monster" in the next room is more than just a boogey man in the dark, and unfortunately this is a woman left with not many alternatives. This is the end of her rope . . . the end of her world. I try to convey that with her narrative voice. She's a hardened woman who's bereft of all hope.

Thanks for reading. I truly appreciate it! I still have a lot of revising to do, so hold off on the e-mail until if or when you read the whole story. But thanks for the offer!

David Batista said...

Yvonne, okay -- I'll find it. Don't worry.

And maybe I'll post up the next two scenes, although they're even more rough than this intro one.

Yvonne said...

Awesome! Can't wait to read more!

David Batista said...

I read your story, Yvonne. I liked it. No, really, a lot! I loved the active, fast-paced narrative. Very much like stream of consciousness writing. So cool! And it's a very interesting male POV, one which unfortunately I can't disagree with. Thanks for letting me know about this. It was a fun read.

Okay, I'm going to try and post up the rest of my story later today. I'll probably write another blog entry letting everyone know when it's up. Stay tuned! :)

You Might Also Like:

LinkWithin