Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Movie news tidbits . . .

After writing about the trailer for the upcoming James Cameron sci-fi movie, Avatar, here, I started to notice a curious thing on these interwebs. A huge cluster fuck of dumbasses clogging the message boards and writing the film off already.

From what I can tell, it seems to be an en masse counter-reaction to all the gushing, unabashed praise the flick's been garnishing from those who saw some footage during ComicCon. I guess it makes you cool these days to knock something that's receiving advanced buzz.

Personally, I think all the hooplah is damaging the film's chances. Too many people are making such a big deal about the 3D aspects, and the special effects, and what-not, that it's rather anticlimactic to some when they see the actual footage.

The film's star, Sam Worthington, discusses the surprising furor in rather candid fashion over at Coming Soon. I recommend you check it out if you're interested in reading what all the commotion is about.

In other news . . .

Seems the huge unexpected box office haul of the Will Smith-starring hero flick, Hancock, has got Hollywood scrambling to fast-track a sequel . . . despite neither the star nor the director particularly free in the foreseeable future to work on one. I think this is delicious revenge on all the people who bitched and moaned about a superhero movie starring a black man (because let's be honest, that's what all the pre-release badmouthing *was* all about), who now have to admit the movie was actually GOOD. I mean, it had its problems, but I thoroughly liked it.

Check out Mania.com to read more.

The idea of there being another "god" out there could be rather interesting, if done right. That's always the rub, eh? If it's done right . . .

2 comments:

Kim Kasch said...

I don't know about the movie, I'm ot a huge SciFi fan - love S. Weaver though. And with a cover like that-WOW-you've got love it.

David Batista said...

I think it evokes a sense of awe and wonder, myself. I mean, the CGI alien stuff does. I predict that the visuals will look otherworldy and dazzling on a 3D projection or IMAX. I hear the forest glows at night on this moon.

But, yeah, obvious for sci-fi fans. I should think non-fans can enjoy this too, but I wouldn't know for sure. I'm not a sappy period-piece romance fan, and yet I thoroughly enjoyed Titanic (which had similar pre-release commotion like Avatar).

You Might Also Like:

LinkWithin